Engineering Biology & Materials ScienceHealth & Medicine Challenge:
Eye and skin protection materials.
- Technical Achievement: Engineer self-renewing, ultra-thin materials resistant to UV, such as via incorporating or secreting biocomponents (e.g., melanin).
Bandages that incorporate proteins or cells for accelerated/advanced wound healing.
- Technical Achievement: Engineering passive biological approaches to integrate stimuli in materials to enhance wound healing.
- Technical Achievement: Engineer materials that incorporate persistent clotting factors to promote coagulation.
- Technical Achievement: Engineer extracellular matrix proteins that exhibit bioactivity and adhesion for wound healing and surgical applications.
Deployable sensors (including enzymes, cells, and nanoparticles) to detect and report biomarkers.
- Technical Achievement: Engineer (bio)sensors that utilize the flow within the fluid medium as an energy source to transmit information and location.
Last updated: January 19, 2021 Back