Engineering Biology & Materials ScienceFood & Agriculture Challenge:
Advance alternative proteins and cellular or cultivated meats.
- Technical Achievement: Improve prototyping matrices for more intricate biomolecule and cellular scaffolding.
- Technical Achievement: Advance the incorporation of additional nutritional components besides proteins in lab-grown meats.
- Technical Achievement: Use biologically-derived polymers (e.g., cellulose, hyphae, mycelia) to improve textures of plant-based proteins.
Materials to detect and control ripening.
- Technical Achievement: Engineer materials that produce or incorporate cyclodextrins, cyclodextrin-like molecules.
- Technical Achievement: Engineer the application of interface materials for stems or surfaces of harvested crops that would seal or provide a means to introduce desired chemicals for the control of ripening.
- Technical Achievement: Materials to detect and report biomolecules associated with over-ripening/spoilage in food storage facilities (e.g., ethylene detecting materials in apple warehouses).
Last updated: January 19, 2021 Back